11 March was a historic date – it marked the day that the European Union implemented its landmark ban on selling animal-tested cosmetics. Please join SAFE in calling for New Zealand to urgently do the same!

No cosmetic testing!

In the meantime, we need to be proactive ourselves – but how do you make sure you’re not hurting animals whilst being mindful of a small budget? We all love a bit of luxury in our lives, but sometimes cost can be a concern for many of us. The great news is that cruelty-free products are easier than ever to find and you really don’t have to spend a fortune! Here are just a few of my favourite ‘not tested on animals’, SAFE Shopper budget buys that you can find locally or order online.

If you are ever unsure about which brands are not tested on animals, SAFE makes it easy for you with SAFE Shopper, an online searchable list and downloadable booklet of products available in New Zealand. Check it out at safeshopper.org.nz!

SAFEShopper

Lush
We love Lush at SAFE. Not only do they sell great products, they have a fantastic history of campaigning actively against cosmetic animal testing. As anyone who has walked past a Lush store knows, it all smells amazing too! I especially love the solid perfumes at $10.90 and their solid shampoo bars that seem to last forever. Order online or buy in-store.

E.L.F. Cosmetics
Until now we had to make do with ordering Eyes Lips Face products from Australia but now E.L.F. has their own New Zealand website. With an all-vegan range and eyeliners and lipsticks for just $5, it’s not to be missed! You can also still order from Elf Australia.

Nature’s Organics
Natures Organics sells a range of shower gels, shampoos and conditioners that are organic and vegan, use plant-based packaging – AND are only around $6 a bottle in The Warehouse and supermarkets like Countdown.

Ro-Vie Cosmetics
Ro-Vie Cosmetics sells gorgeous products that are vegan and contain no nasty chemicals. Although slightly more pricey at $20 for an eye shadow, they promise to last for one year with every-day application. Bargain!

ecostore
I love ecostore products. Especially their household range which start at just $6 for washing powder which lasts 64 washes! Available to buy online, in wholefoods stores and supermarkets.

For even more thriftiness, check out SAFE’s ever-growing DIY Cosmetics Pinterest board.

Why not post your favourite SAFE Shopper beauty finds in the comments below? Happy shopping!

Mandy Carter

Campaign Manager

About these ads
Comments
  1. Carol McNamara says:

Great idea but too little too late – so many companies now have gone back to animal testing to satisfy the demands of the Chinese market. Nivea, St Ives, Avon to name a few. We seem to be going backwards and with the potential of the Chinese market our protests will have little impact. Maybe an education campaign in China would have more impact??

2. bobsydaisy says:

Both my daughter and I buy, sorry, bought, Nivea, St Ives and Avon products because we thought they were safe from cruelty; no longer.

The fact that animal testing is being resumed for the Chinese Market suggests that Nivea, St Ives,
    Avon, etc. attach a higher standard to the Chinese over the lowly worker New Zealanders and the even less important and disposable ‘dumb’ creatures that Kiwis supposedly care about.

Maybe an education campaign in New Zealand about the ugly truth and unforgiveable price of beauty for New Zealanders would be more useful.

I would appreciate a revised list of the companies that are perpetuating cruelty presumably for women; as if women weren’t being blamed enough already. I would be happy to circulate that list.

• Carol McNamara says:

I fully agree, I ask as many friends as possible not to buy Nivea, etc. I am disgusted with all these companies that have put the potential buying power of 1.4 billion Chinese before ethics and morality. When I was in Countdown this afternoon I was asked if I would answer a few market research questions so I had a fantastic opportunity to point out that their selection of toiletries was awful, which is why I spend money at the health food store instead. Maybe the management might take notice (though I won’t hold my breath).

• Onehunga says:

Well that’s 3 more to cross off the list. I so glad I stopped buying Avon last year.

• Mary phillips says:

I was glad to read that skinfood is on the good list also made in NZ. I buy mine at Countdown $12 -$13 for 100 ml of moisturiser.

3. Carol McNamara says:

By the way, I love Health Basics products, animal friendly, made in NZ and cheap!

4. Vanessa Harrison says:

I am saddened to learn tha Nivea not test their products on Animals. I have been buying Nivea for years thinking they do not test. Very disapointing. Shame on you Nivea.

5. No amount of education in China would make any difference.
    These are people who electrocute cats through their rear end so that their fur is not damaged, and keep bears in cages for their bile, and eat their paws as a delicacy.
    Joy

• Carol McNamara says:

Having lived and worked in China, I intend to agree somewhat with Joy’s opinion, but there seems to be a growing awareness anogst a small group of people and I think all we can do is encourage them….

6. Carol McNamara says:

Health Basics clearly advertise on their packaging “not tested on animals”, which must be a breach of advertising rules surely?

7. Mimi Kelly says:

Inika cosmetics great mineral foundation, powder and vegan lipsticks

8. Jane says:

Nature’s Organic use palm oil… that’s not very cruelty free.

9. Jennifer says:

I feel sickened to think that we are dictated to by the Chinese and what they require! They have no regard whatsoever for the lives of animals. I would never contemplate using any form of so called Chinese remedy and am disgusted to discover that products I had been buying are tested on animals. I carry the list with me now and check before I make purchases. Remember too that it isn’t only cosmetics, but household products as well.

• Carol McNamara says:

I have been using Health Basics products as I believed they were cruelty-free. Here’s the info that I’ve just got from the company: The Health Basics range, formulated and manufactured at our Auckland site is not tested on animals. The ingredients we use are also not tested on animals. We do not condone or support any form of animal testing. However, in certain limited circumstances, local laws and regulations (such as the importation to China) require animal testing for cosmetic products to demonstrate consumer safety as part of the product registration process, and, in the case of China, is carried out by the Government itself. This is a legal requirement applicable to all cosmetic products without exception, and is not specific to, or requested by, Health Basics.

This is not a process that we support, fund, have any control/influence over, or any involvement in. API do not authorise any testing, nor do we pay for any testing. The testing is carried out once, as part of the registration process and once registered, no further testing is required. Like many NZ & Global manufacturers, we do export our range abroad. This is to build a sustainable and growing NZ business. etc etc. I too am thoroughly sick & tired of rolling over for the Chinese, just for the sake of profit over ethics.

• Jennifer says:

Thanks for the info re Health Basics Carol. Same old story though, they are still supplying China and profiting from the sales which makes them as bad as the people they claim are responsible for the testing. Shame on them and all the others that condone this behaviour by profiting from the cruelty inflicted on the innocent animals on this planet!

10. Carol McNamara says:

Fully agree with you Jennifer. I check the labels of most of what I buy, but I don’t believe half of them anyway. Earthwise definitely don’t test, or allow it to be done and their household products are good. My husband has been road-testing the Primal Earth vegan range for men and likes it, so there is something for everyone out there – time consuming though and we should be past all this nonsense by now – thanks China.

11. Lyz says:

Lush = ‘budget': LOL!!!

12. Ash says:

Check out Sukin’s range – I love their facial cleansers! http://www.sukinorganics.com/about.asp

13. Sarah says:

Aveda do some of the BEST shampoos and conditioners around. Quite pricey, but a bottle lasts AGES – way longer than supermarket cr*p. Your hair (and animals) will thank you for it. Available at some salons or on strawberrynet. And I’ve checked the PETA website – they are on their cruelty free list.

14. Karen says:

I had not idea that St. Ives was bought out by Unilever and I have specifically been buying their products for years as they didn’t test on animals. I just took a look at the scrub that I just bought and sure enough the ” not tested on animals” has been removed and the Unilever trademark has been added. I am angry that I have bought one of their products not knowing this!!! That’s the last time!!

15. Paula says:

Health Basics have just told me that they do not currently export their ‘new product’ to China.
    I have asked them to clarify and also asked Safe to advise where they get their info from?

• Carol McNamara says:

Hi Paula, here’s what they told me “The Health Basics range, formulated and manufactured at our Auckland site is not tested on animals. The ingredients we use are also not tested on animals. We do not condone or support any form of animal testing. However, in certain limited circumstances, local laws and regulations (such as the importation to China) require animal testing for cosmetic products to demonstrate consumer safety as part of the product registration process, and, in the case of China, is carried out by the Government itself. This is a legal requirement applicable to all cosmetic products without exception, and is not specific to, or requested by, Health Basics.” “Our new range of Health Basics sold in the NZ and soon Australian markets is not yet sold in China. We understand that China’s State Food and Drug Administration, has recently released a draft proposal approving the use of alternatives to animal testing for cosmetics. If the new range of Health Basics is sold into China, we will work
      closely with our distributor to ensure that these alternative methods are used (as soon as they are approved) We certainly support a change to the Chinese laws for cosmetic product registration.” In other words, it’s more important to export to China than to refuse to sell them products.

16. bobsydaisy says:

Did I hear right on Radio New Zealand, this morning, that people protesting against businesses re the humane conditions of animals are going to be legislated into becoming criminals if they seek to protest.

Happening in America, happening here too?

Sea protesting criminalisation already happening under Simon Bridges

Key seems to be putting all the legislation in place in time for the TPPA corporates to come in and take over, without a murmur from Kiwis.

17. bobsydaisy says:

Went to Pak N Save; I may be incorrect but I could not see any cruelty-free deodorants. Are there any in Countdown – the only two supermarkets in my area?

Tks

18. Komal Kharbanda says:

Hi Mandy, great post! :)
    I am new to veganism but the first thing I learnt about it is that you ought to use vegan beauty products and accessories besides switching your food habits completely. I was able to pick vegan makeup products easily but I had a really hard time finding perfect vegan makeup brushes. I used EcoTools for a while but wasn’t particularly happy. Then I came across Nanshy Brushes. and now Im in love with them. Read their blog posts, they are pretty informative – http://safenewzealand.org/2013/05/02/cruelty-free-on-a-budget/